As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
5 things from Above the Fold by Rachel Scott McDaniel
1) Elissa is a woman in a man's world, trying to prove her worth at her father's newspaper.
2) Cole is back as The Review's star reporter. He intends to get a fresh start on life and to win back Elissa's heart
3) An eccentric inventor's murder, a contest to get the headline, and a dying newspaper.
4) 1920's Pittsburgh, prohibition and speakeasies
5)"Cole stood in the doorway, his shirtsleeves pushed past his elbows, his hair mussed like he'd fought the wind rather than assisted Jay with the press. Not fair. Dishevelment increased his attractiveness when it lessened hers."
What a delightful book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt like I was right in the middle of 1920's Pittsburgh! I love how faith was folded effortlessly into the story. There was mystery, intrigue, and renewed love. I look forward to reading more from this author!
5 things to look for in Christmas at Carnton by Tamera Alexander
1) A Sharpshooter who has lost his long-distance vision and a war widow making the best of the support they can give to the war effort.
2)God's provision when all seems bleak
3) A "crinoline" who is a woodcarver
4)A generous benefactor who funds war efforts and provides a new home for those in need.
5)Recipes for Hot Cocoa, Butter cookies, pecan pie, and pumpkin bread
What worked for me: Intriguing characters and conflict/ the civil war from the south's perspective
What didn't work for me: I would have liked to see the relationship between the hero and heroine develop more. It felt a little rushed to the Happily Ever After. But perhaps it was because it is a shorter work? I prefer books on the longer side.
5 things to look for in With This Pledge by Tamera Alexander
1)Confederate sharpshooter severely injured at the Battle of Franklin, and a governess turned surgeon's assistant
2)The time they spend together develops an attraction between them... except she's already promised.
3)Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol
4)A pledge to find a nameless boy's last message to his mother
5) "When faith ceases to pray it ceases to live." Roland knew his faith was living on borrowed time.
I really enjoyed this book. I learned a lot about the battle of Franklin, as well as the South's perspective. The atrocities of war and a painful lack of modern medicine made me very thankful for being alive today.
5 things to look for in Wrangler in Petticoats
by Mary Connealy
1)Logan is an artist painting the grandeur of Yellowstone National Park
2) Sally can wrangle any cow and shoot any target. Her tough ways might just save her life. 3)A shootout and a fall from a cliff: Sally should be dead, except she's not. She is the only witness and the desperados are aiming to hunt her down.
4) A very pregnant sister and her gold-hungry husband
5) "But right now, there was no denying he had himself some thoughts. A woman, whose limbs might be exposed, had dropped down from the heavens into his arms. That made her a gift from God straight to him, and he was strongly inclined to accept that gift."
I love Mary Connealy's books! clever and fast-paced and lots of fun!